Sunday, April 14, 2013

God's gifts of mercy

As I held a sleeping child in my arms this morning in church, I thought about how much I am like a child before my Heavenly Father and how much I need Him to navigate through this mortal journey. As I reflect on the Lord's goodness in supporting me each day, I think on the gifts that He has provided to help me on my journey. Because the mortal journey is treacherous, He has provided all of us with the following:
  1. The light of Christ, which helps us to know right from wrong
  2. The atonement of Jesus Christ, which allows each to be resurrected after death and forgiven of our sins.
In addition, to His faithful sons and daughters who make covenants (promises) with Him through baptism into His church on Earth, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, He provides the gift of the Holy Ghost. This supernal gift spoken of by Christ in John 14:26-27 can be a constant guide for us through our mortal journey on Earth.

Additionally, He allows each man the opportunity to hold the priesthood, which is no less than the power of God. This unique endowment allows each man the opportunity to practice using His power to bless His sons and daughters on Earth.

I am grateful for these gifts and others that flow therefrom. They provide the tools required to succeed on this journey through life.

And as I reflect on these things, I wonder what single gift I could give to help each of my children on their mortal journey. I suppose that this would be to ensure that each child received baptism at the appropriate age (eight years of age) and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Reception of the gift of the Holy Ghost can then guide them through all of the perils of this life successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment